Want to invest in the stock market? Opening a Demat account is the first and mandatory step to start investing in the stock market as per the Securities and Exchange Board of India. But the question arises which one is the best Demat account in India. There are different charges for different Demat accounts required for the exchanges. Therefore, it is necessary to find which Demat account to apply for to start trading. A Demat account can be opened, through the banks or brokers to get the depository. An individual depository is required for both NSE and BSE, which are the two types of stock exchanges in India. The Indian market has two kinds of depositories, viz., Central Depository Service Limited (CSDL) and National Security Depository Limited (NSDL). In this article, you will learn about the Demat account, different charges, and brokerage for the different Demat accounts. Read through this article and get all the information before you try your luck in the stock market.
What is a Demat Account?
A Demat account is an account that holds all the shares as well as securities electronically. Let’s assume if anyone purchases share with a trading account, they get stored into their Demat account. Similarly, if anyone wishes to sell them, shares get sold from the same account. A Demat account works like a bank account.
The traders or investors in India open their Demat accounts at the time of the registration with the stock market. The share traders in India should own the Demat accounts to continue with the trading in the easy way to transact shares.
Documents Required to Open a Demat Account
- A passport size picture
- ID Proof – Voter Id card, PAN card, Ration card, Driving License, and a valid Passport
- Address Proof – Driving License, Passport, Ration card, Electricity or Phone bill
Difference between Demat and Trading Account
For an easy understanding, the Demat account is storage, and the trading account is the interface. A trading account allows the traders to sell and purchase shares on stock markets like BSE or NSE. The shares you purchase get stored in the Demat account and get debited from the same account while selling. Having a Demat account with one broker and a trading account with another is possible and one of the interesting parts of it. The traders are suggested to have their trading and the Demat accounts with the same broker for easy trading. The traders can also have their trading, Demat, and savings accounts with a single broker. It is called a 3 in 1 account.
Best Demat Account in India in 2021
Below is the list of best Demat account in India to apply for in 2021
Zerodha is one of the top-notch service providers for online trading, having the largest count of clients that makes it popular. It was the very first platform in India to introduce the discount brokerage concept. The rates for derivative and intraday trading start from INR 20 for each order that gets executed and the brokerage charges remain the same whether the clients trade with INR 10,000 to 10 Crores. Zerodha does not only provide discount brokerage, but equity delivery trading, and that is without charging any fee from the clients. Zerodha has helped reduce any kinds of obstacles in the stock market for retail clients. With time, Zerodha has grown gently to be on the top in India.
Different charges at Zerodha
|Demat Account Opening||Rs. 300 (One time)|
|Commodity account opening||Rs. 200 (One time)|
|Demat Annual charges||Rs. 300|
|Equity Intraday||Rs. 20 per trade|
|Equity Delivery charges||0|
|Equity Futures||Rs. 20/trade|
|Equity Options||Rs. 20/trade|
Trading Platforms in Zerodha
- Zerodha Kite 3.0: Zerodha Kite 3.0 is a complete solution for traders and investors that offer streaming price data, simple UI, advanced charts, and multi-market access.
- Zerodha Kite Mobile App: It is the mobile version of Kite 3.0 and is a great trading option for mobile phone users.
- Zerodha Coin: It is a new platform for direct mutual funds offered by Zerodha that is free of commission charges.
- Best discount broker having the maximum number of customers.
- Offers delivery-based trades for free and maximum charges in every other segment are Rs. 20.
- Offers educational initiatives using open Zerodha platform to educate investors.
- The customer support offered by Zerodha is the best.
- Offers trading platforms, such as Zerodha Kite, and started a new platform for a direct mutual fund called coin.
- There are charges for the call and trade.
- It offers a 3-in-1 Demat account only for customers having an IDFC bank account.
Why Choose Zerodha?
- There is no brokerage, and delivery is free.
- There is no minimum cap for the brokerage.
- The maximum brokerage charge on any Zerodha segment is Rs. 20.
- It offers a margin of 4 to 15 times.
- It is most popular and best trading account in India.
Upstox is also the best broker in India. Earlier, it was known as RKSV securities. It charges the fixed brokerage rates of INR 20 for each trade for intraday trading irrespective of the money that you want to trade with. Upstox is the best platform for the clients, looking for the easy and the best trading account with high margins and the lowest brokerage rates. It does not charge any amount for delivery, which saves more money. Upstox fulfills the prime requirements of the clients for trading. All in all, Upstox is the best and secure platform for traders in India.
Different charges in Upstox
|Account Opening charges (Demat and trading)||0|
|Annual Maintenance Charges||Rs. 25/month|
|Equity Intraday||Rs. 20/month or 0.05% (whichever charges are lower)|
|Equity Futures||Rs. 20/month or 0.05% (whichever charges are lower)|
|Equity options||Rs. 20/month|
|Commodity||Rs. 20/month or 0.05% (whichever charges are lower)|
|Currency Futures and Currency Options||Rs. 20/month or 0.05% (whichever charges are lower)|
- Offers delivery trades without any charges.
- Free account opening and low charges for annual maintenance.
- Maximum charges of Rs. 20 for non-delivery trades.
- Offers the superior quality trading platform as Upstox Pro.
- The trade and call in Upstox are chargeable.
- Offers 3-in-1 Demat account for customers having IndusInd bank savings account.
Why choose Upstox?
- No charges for account opening
- The account opening process is fast.
- Get the benefits of Rs. 4000.
- No brokerage for 30 days.
Being a part of India Infoline, 5 Paisa has presented the latest brokerage model in the Indian stock market for trading. 5 Paisa is headquartered in Mumbai, India, existing as a discount broker for more than five years in the share market. 5 Paisa offers free Demat accounts to its clients. It has grown rapidly and secured its place in the top 10 Demat accounts providers in India. Its brokerage charges are quite lesser as compared to other traditional brokers like HDFC Securities, Kotak securities, and ICICI direct. 5 Paisa possesses a top-notch place in the list of the best Demat accounts with the lowest brokerage. 5 paisa holds second place among the discount brokers available in India with its best 2-in1 trading and Demat account.
Different Charges at 5Paisa
5 Paisa offers three types of accounts, viz. basic pack, ultra trader pack, and power investor pack. Below are the charges for two types of accounts:
|Types||Basic Pack||Power Investor Pack||Ultra Trader Pack|
|Plan||0||Rs. 499/month||Rs. 999/month|
|Equity Delivery||Rs. 20 per order||Rs. 10 per order||Rs. 10 per order|
|Equity Intraday||Rs. 20 per order||Rs. 10 per order||Rs. 10 per order|
|Equity Futures||Rs. 20 per order||Rs. 10 per order||Rs. 10 per order|
|Equity Options||Rs. 20 per order||Rs. 10 per order||Rs. 10 per order|
|Currency Futures||Rs. 20 per order||Rs. 10 per order||Rs. 10 per order|
|Currency Options||Rs. 20 per order||Rs. 10 per order||Rs. 10 per order|
Trading Platforms of 5 Paisa
- 5 Paisa Station Web: This web-based trading platform is easy to use and access the data and portfolios.
- 5 Paisa Trader Terminal: This has a robust interface that can execute the transaction fast and can easily handle the high volume data. This platform offers the features, such as, advanced charts, real-time price in the market, and the stock price of the past.
- 5 Paisa App: This is a mobile-friendly app that is easy to use and access and gives the best trading experience using smart phones.
5 Paisa Pros
- It is a product of a well-reputed company, i.e., IIFL.
- It does not charge anything for account opening.
- It allows investment in mutual funds, IPOs, and insurance.
- It gives its customers trading tips and research reports.
5 Paisa Cons
- The recommendations in 5 Paisa are made by AI-based algorithms.
Why choose 5 Paisa?
- It has the best trading app, which is easy to access.
- The account opening process is fast.
- No delivery brokerage charges.
- It offers tips and recommendations.
India Infoline Demat Account (IIFL)
IIFL Demat account is another big stockbroker with a large number of customers. Infoline is a full-service broker started in 1995. It serves both institutional as well as retail clients. Infoline does not provide broking services only, but many other services, such as investment banking, Assets management, IPOs, FDs, Portfolio management, insurance, loan, and many others. IIFL would be the best option for clients who are looking for more than broking services. Apart from the big cities in India, IIFL provides its services in many other countries. These countries include London, New York, Hong Kong, Dubai, Singapore, etc.
Different value-added services provided by IIFL Account
- Mutual Fund Investment
- Research advisory
- Loan products for home, business, property, gold, and personal
- Wealth and finance management
- Options trading
- Market reports
Different Charges at IIFL
|Account Opening Charges||0|
|Annual Maintenance Charges||0|
|Second Year Onwards (AMC)||INR 250|
|Intraday Future and Options||INR 20 Each Trade|
IIFL Account Pros
- There are no account opening charges and account maintenance is free for the first year.
- Brokerage charges are lesser as compared to many other stockbroker accounts.
- It offers value-added services, such as mutual funds and IPO.
- It provides daily tips and recommendations.
- It is well established brand.
- It offers a fund transfer facility to almost all banks.
IIFL Account Cons
- It does not offer the 3-in-1 Demat account.
- The charges of trade and calls are high.
Angel Broking is a leading stockbroker, having a PAN India presence with branches in more than 900 cities in India. It has a massive client-base of more than 1 million. Angel Broking serves all the stock exchanges that include BSE, NSE, NCDEX, and MCX. The Lifetime free Demat account of Angel Broking attracts the clients. A few months ago, it launched an ARQ service capable of producing huge returns. The brokerage charges vary according to the amount deposited, and the margin amount deposited is used for trading purposes only.
Different Charges at Angel Broking
|Type||Angel Preferred Charges||Angel Classic Charges|
|Demat and Trading Account Opening||0||0|
|AMC||INR 450 (Second Year Onwards)||INR 450 (Second Year Onwards)|
|Currency Options||INR 5.6 per lot||INR 6.4 per lot|
Trading platforms in Angel Broking
- Angel Broking Trade: It is a web-based platform that offers online trading and portfolio tracking. It also gives updated information about the market and live news.
- Angel Broking App: It is a mobile-friendly trading app that helps with trading, portfolio tracking, and checking the market price. It also uses the ARQ technology that gives personal advice.
- Angel Speed Pro: It is the desktop-installable software that can provide the historical data of 20 years and intraday data for the past 30 days. It also provides the news and updated market reports.
Angel Broking Pros
- It is one of the trusted brands in India for trading.
- It offers advanced trading platforms.
- It has a big network of franchises and sub-brokers.
- The mobile app uses ARQ technology based on Artificial Intelligence.
- It has a great team that offers well-researched tips and reports.
Angel Broking Cons
- It has no brokerage calculator for discount brokers.
Sharekhan is a complete service broker and is well known for its commendable services in India. Sharekhan provides many services such as financial advisory, online trading, and seminars, to its clients. It does not charge any amount for an account opening or DP transactions. Sharekhan only charges a minimal amount for the maintenance of the Demat account. Offering the Call and Trade facility makes it the best Demat account in India. Sharekhan mainly offers two kinds of trading accounts which include the Classic Account and Trade Tiger Account. The Classic account is an online trading account for equities and derivatives. The Trade Tiger Account is for the clients, who are persistent with the trading session in the daytime.
Different Charges at Sharekhan
|Account Opening for Trading account||0|
|Account Opening for Demat account||0|
|Annual Maintenance Charges||Rs. 400 annual and free for first year|
|Equity Intraday||0.1% – 0.2%|
|Equity Futures||0.1% – 0.2%|
|Equity Options||Rs. 100/lot|
Sharekhan Account Pros
- It offers a trade and call facility without charges.
- It offers training workshops for its investors.
- The fund transfer to and from the trading account is free.
- It offers prepaid brokerage plans.
Sharekhan Account Cons
- It does not provide the 3-in-1 account.
- Brokerage charges are comparatively high but are negotiable.
- It does not allow the placing order after the trading time.
Religare Securities Limited (RSL)
Religare Securities is the subsidiary of Religare. It is a huge platform with more than 8 Lakhs customers using both online and offline platforms. It offers trading facilities in equity, commodity, and currency. It allows the account opening for both trade and Demat for free, however, there are annual maintenance charges. Religare is secured and trusted brand in the stock market.
Different Charges at Religare Securities
|Demat Account Opening Charges||0|
|Trading Account Opening Charges||Rs. 500|
|Demat Account Maintenance Charges||Rs. 400 (from 2nd year)|
|Trading Account Maintenance charges||0|
|Equity Delivery||0.50% – 0.10%|
|Equity Intraday||0.05% – 0.01 %|
|Equity Options||Rs. 70/lot|
|Currency Futures||0.05% per lot|
|Currency Options||Rs. 30/lot|
Religare Securities Trading Platform
- Religare Web Portal: It is a web-based trading platform available online and is accessible to all devices.
- Religare Dynami: It is a mobile phone app that facilitates trading on the go.
- Religare DIET ODIN: It is an installable app on the desktop that helps in online trading over a single screen.
Religare Securities Pros
- It has a mobile-based app that facilitates trading from anywhere and anytime.
- The single Religare account is a one-stop solution for all trading features, such as equities, commodities, mutual funds, currency, futures, and derivatives.
- It also has the facility of historical charts and intraday reports.
- It offers personalized alerts and fast trading.
Religare Securities Cons
- The price for using the desktop-installable app is Rs. 999.
- The maximum limit for the segment each day is Rs. 50.
Why choose Religare?
- The investment with Religare is completely safe and secure.
- It offers the facility of integrated market research after evaluating a number of commodities and stocks.
- The customer support service offered by Religare is really good.
Kotak Securities is also a big name in providing full broker services in India. It provides multiple services that include Equity delivery, Life Insurance, Investment banking, IPO, Equity F&O, Financial Advisory Services, and more to its clients. The Demat account of Kotak Securities holders can trade in any segment of Currency Derivatives, BSE, and NSE. It does not include Commodity Trading only. Kotak offers a 3-in-1 Demat and best trading account to its clients. Using the Kotak Demat Account, the clients can operate any platform of the Kotak securities. These platforms include Kotaksecurities.com, Xtralite, Kotak Stock Trader, and KEAT Pro.
Different Charges at Kotak Securities
The trading account opening charges for Kota Securities are Rs. 750, and the maintenance charges are Rs. 50/month. Kotak Securities offer two types of brokerage plans as below:
- Dynamic Brokerage Plan: In the Dynamic Brokerage Plan, the brokerage slab gets decided by the monthly turnover of the investors.
|Trading Volume||Brokerage Charges|
|< 1 Lakh||0.59%|
|60 Lakh – 2 Crores||0.23%|
|> 2 Crores||0.18%|
|< 25 Lakhs||0.06%|
|25 Lakhs – 2 Crores||0.05%|
|> 5 Crores||0.03%|
- Advance Brokerage Plan: Under the advanced brokerage plan, there are different slabs with the lesser brokerage. Each plan has a validity of 12 months, and the amount gets lapse if not used.
|Plan||Delivery Brokerage||Intraday Brokerage|
Kotak Securities Pros
- It offers a 3-in-1 account with the facility of funds transfer.
- It offers great customer support and an online chat facility.
- It has provision for the users, having slow internet connection.
- It offers all the investment solutions under a single roof.
Kotak Securities Cons
- Kotak Securities does not support the commodity segment.
- Brokerage charges are comparatively higher.
ICICI Direct is one of the best financial service providers and is a part of ICICI securities. Its ICICI Demat account is very popular among its customers, which offers online trading to its clients in India. ICICI direct provides many options related to the investment to its clients, already linked to ICICI Bank or ICICI direct, which include retail and institutional. As compared to the other Demat accounts in India, the ICICI Demat account is considered to be better. ICICI charges INR 100 for an account opening and INR 500 for its maintenance. With ICICI, the customers do not need to have an individual account for fund management and trading, as it offers 3-in1 trading and Demat account, which helps customers in trading with a single account. The Demat account of ICICI direct is a blessing for the small investors as it kicks off all the obstacles related to transferring the funds between the trading account and bank account.
Different charges of ICICI Direct:
ICICI Direct offers three types of plans:
- I – Secure Plan: The brokerage charges are fixed in I – Secure Plan. The delivery brokerage for the I-Secure plan is 0.55% and the intraday brokerage charges are 0.275%.
- ICICI Direct Prime Plan: This plan offers customers instant payouts for the sold shares. Also, customers opting for this plan can access the premium research reports. The below table illustrates the different charges under the premium plan:
|Type||Rs. 900 Plan||Rs. 4500 Plan||Rs. 9500 Plan|
|Equity Options||Rs. 35||Rs. 25||Rs. 20|
|Currency Options||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot|
|Currency Futures||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot|
- Prepaid brokerage plan: This plan has lesser brokerage than the other two plans. This plan is not for those who want to trade seasonally. The below table illustrates the prepaid brokerage plans:
|Plan||Equity Option||Equity Futures||Currency Option||Currency Futures|
|Rs. 5,000||Rs. 35||0.025%||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot|
|Rs. 12,500||Rs. 30||0.022%||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot|
|Rs. 25,000||Rs. 25||0.018%||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot|
|Rs. 50,000||Rs. 20||0.015%||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot|
|Rs. 1,00,000||Rs. 15||0.012%||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot|
|Rs. 1,50,000||Rs. 10||0.009%||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot||Rs. 20/order and Rs. 2/lot|
Trading Platforms in ICICI Direct
- Racer Web: It is a web-based platform that offers investing and trading activities, and can be accessed through any web browser.
- Racer Desktop: It is an installable app that has features, such as live streaming, integrated fund-transfer, and research calls.
ICICI Direct Demat Account Pros
- It is the most reputed brokerage account.
- It has the solution for every kind of investment and insurance.
- It offers an easy flow of funds.
- It is a 3-in-1 Demat account.
ICICI Direct Demat Account Cons
- The brokerage charges are very high.
- It does not support commodity trading.
- The mobile app of the ICICI direct Demat account is not very good.
- It has no brokerage calculator.
Why choose ICICI Direct Demat Account?
- It offers a 3-in-1 account, i.e., Demat, Saving, and Trading.
- The Transfer of money is easy.
- It is best to choose if the trading volume is low.
HDFC Securities is a subsidiary of HDFC bank, which is one of the largest private banks in India. It offers a 3-in-1 account that merges the trading account, saving account, and Demat account. HDFC Securities serves over 1.7 million clients with having more than 2400 branches across 185 locations in India. It does not charge any account opening fee and Annual Maintenance Charges for the first year.
Different Charges at HDFC Securities
|Demat Account Opening Charges||0|
|Trading Account Opening Charges||Rs. 999|
|Demat Account Maintenance Charges||0|
|Trading Account Maintenance charges||Rs. 750|
|Equity Options||Rs. 100/lot|
|Currency Futures||Rs. 23/contract|
|Currency Options||Rs. 20/contract|
Trading Platform of HDFC Security
- HDFC Pro Terminal: It is a web-based trading platform that offers the features, such as sentiment analysis and market analysis.
- HDFC Securities Mobile Trading: It is the mobile-based trading platform offered by HDFC Securities and facilitates trading and equity easily.
HDFC Security Pros
- It offers a 3-in-1 account that helps in quick fund transfer.
- It conducts educational seminars for the customers.
- It facilitates the NRI account as well.
HDFC Security Cons
- Trading is not free, and there is also a monthly subscription.
- It does not support the commodity segment.
- There are charges for the SMS-based tips too.
I have provided all the necessary details that you should know before opening the Demat account. You can choose the best Demat account in India looking at various pros and cons that each Demat account has. The information in this article will help you deciding the Demat account best for you. Do not spend much time on deciding the Demat accounts, instead spend time analyzing the different stocks and their price movement to decide which stock to buy.